Sunday, February 22, 2009

SEO web tools 23 things

I looked at several tools listed as award winners. Are they all Search Engine Optimizers?
I looked at one sentence, google docs, wufoo,going, upcoming and urban spoon.
GoogleDocs is very useful for library school since I can share my documents with my classmates ,but it does not allow me to upload a file I have on my home computer because it is the newest version of word.
Wufoo also seemed very useful for creating user surveys for the library.
I had high hopes for the site Upcoming and the site Going because I LOVE to go out, but I was disappointed by both. They just repeated the stuff that is in the Weekender and the Current and did not have enough variety. I learned that Going is more for a younger crowd and that Upcoming is for people my age. I did like the photo booth feature in Going,though.
Learning about the LULU sight was very useful because I had read about it in a Library Trends article about self-publishing.
I also explored Urbanspoon because I thought that site would be useful for the LibGuides on cooking. It would be good to use on the Ref desk if we ever got Library ref. questions about Restaurant recommendations. We do get these occasionally because we are downtown. I was disappointed by the descriptions of the restaurant addresses. It listed Zaki restaurant as being on the Westside. Since when is the NW Loop 410 area the West Side? The West Side is a cultural term to describe the area around Calaveras street or the Guadalupe theatre immediately WEST of downtown. No San Antonian would describe the area where Zaki is as the WEST SIDE. Very wrong.
I did,however, like the blog on this site.It was a good place to look for current reviews.
My absolutely favorite site was One Sentence. I recommended it to everyone and have become quite addicted to the concise poetry of the sentences generated there. It would be a good site for writers searching for inspiration.

No comments: